With the fall season at our doors, there’s been a lot of squash at the supermarket. I took a chance and bought a cute lil acorn squash at Trader Joe’s and decided in the adjacent aisle that I would make a squash risotto. It turned out alright if I do say so myself! I don’t like the brand of extra virgin olive oil I have, which gave the squash a weird taste, but it was good with the risotto. The risotto was made from Trader Joe’s Three Grains Blend (rice, barley, and spelt), chicken stock, parmesan cheese, and a little butter.
1 small acorn squash, cut up in 1/2 inch cubes
extra virgin olive oil
salt & pepper
1 box Three Grains Blend from Trader Joes
7 cups chicken or turkey stock
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 tbsp butter
1. Toss squash in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast in oven at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
2. In a large stockpot, bring 7 cups of chicken stock to a boil.
3. Pour in entire box of Three Grains Blend and let it cook on medium heat. Stir frequently until it has soaked up all the liquid. This will take about 15 minutes.
4. Mix in butter and cheese.
5. Serve immediately with roasted squash on top.