Sewing Bug

Sewing Project #3 – striped zippered pouch


Zippers, oh me oh my! I loved this project. And especially with Dana’s super clear directions, it wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. The only problem I ran into was the lining getting caught on the zipper, but that was because I sewed way too close to the zipper. I made the adjustments for the second pouch and it zips fine. Might just have to take apart the blue one and redo it!


I really like the look of the metal zipper, as used in the blue stripe pouch. The plastic ones are easier to sew because they are less bulky but they curl up more than the metal ones. Either way, zippers are not as intimidating as they seem. If I can sew a zippered pouch, anyone can!

Sidenote: photos were taken with my new lens, the AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G from Nikon, as recommended by Lauren of Lauren Elise Crafted. Friends’ children, flowers, etc. beware! :)

Standard
Sewing Bug

Sewing Project #2: chevron pillow

While at IKEA on a mission to buy throw pillows for which I’d sew covers for, I remembered they had a great by-the-yard canvas section! I picked up a few yards of thick back striped canvas, thin yellow striped canvas, and blank canvas. Perfect opportunity to make a chevron patterned pillow!

I used this tutorial by Dana Made It and it worked out well. It was a pain in the butt cutting up the strips but once I got the hang of it, it all worked out. I only had one yard of fabric though, so only the front of the pillow is a chevron pattern. The back is blank canvas. Also, instead of sewing the whole thing shut, I made it an envelope style case, which turned out OK. There’s a 2 inch gap between the two fabrics because I didn’t measure it to allow for the fluffiness of the pillow. Oh well, I can live with it :) GREAT! I couldn’t live with it afterall – I took it apart and fixed it :)

Standard
Sewing Bug

Sewing Project #1: Drawstring Bag

A few days ago I tried making a drawstring bag but failed super miserably. It’s still half sewn with knots and will permanently be in my pile of shame. I think I finally got the hang of it though and made two bags today! They’re double lined so they’re nice and thick. I started with this tutorial from the purl bee, but improvised it because I wanted it to be double lined. Still have a lot to learn but at least it’s pretty fun :) Thanks to the BF and Jamie for the encouragement! Here are some pics:

I think fabric hoarding may be in my future.. as if I don’t already have that problem with paper. I’m scared.

Standard